Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Letting Go.

Today, my 2 youngest children started school at a new school, in a new town, a new district, in a whole new state.  High School.  The summer's end tumbled quickly upon me and I wasn't ready at all.  I was playing it cool.  Somewhere in the back of my head I knew I was running out of time, but I waited until the last minute, last weekend to do everything that needed to be done.  Of course, I kicked myself a couple of times but managed anyway, and last night the kids were figuring out what to wear and what to bring and as I listened I overheard them talking about the smell of new pencils and paper.  I heard them talking in the adult like voice of experiences long tucked away as sweet memories to savor from time to time.  They spoke of notes I'd hidden in the recesses of their back packs, telling them I was proud of who they are, I knew they could do it, I was thinking of them, mostly that I loved them.  They talked of a tower of special snacks we used to stock up on, that teetered in the closet, a supply of granola bars and little Debbies that would last at least 100 years (and was often gone within a week).  Most of all, they just talked.  I hadn't heard these kind of conversations before,  it seems when I am there to be a willing referee they put me to use and squabble and argue and generally fight and seem to do all things to make me crazy.  Now I wonder how much of the show is for my benefit?
First day of school 2012
Can they see the sense of loss I feel sometimes now that my family has all grown older?  How I struggle to find purpose when there aren't toddlers to chase, diapers to change, huge family dinners to cook?   And if indeed that is the case- I think they need even more letting go because it is in those moments that the fear of falling, fear of failing on their own kicks in and they reach out to each other instead of me.  Even better then that, while they hold on to each other, they start to fly themselves and realize it isn't me that keeps them up.  So today, while I enjoy the quiet and manage to not get as much done as I'd planned, I am going to try to find solace in the lesson of letting go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much! I love hearing from you!!