Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Trail of Trials- The Beginning!

There is never a really good place to start a journey when you aren't sure when it began.  I'm starting with today.  My hands are covered in kilz primer.  My shoulders ache from painting a ceiling, after painting wall after wall after wall after, well, you get the point.  Lots of painting.  Today, I feel in love with a house.  Better yet, today, I feel in love with MY house.  It doesn't really feel like it is mine yet, we've only owned it since last Friday, but I'm working on knowing it well enough to call my home soon.
We started looking at old, run down, abandoned, foreclosed and oft falling down houses last summer.  It was sort of a hobby fueled on dreams with just a touch of reality to keep it interesting.  We knew we wanted out of our typical 1970's rambler: boxy house, boxy rooms, boxy neighborhood. We knew we wanted out of the town of Zimmerman- the back yard of towns in which my husband and I were both raised in and had hoped to get a little further away from.  We knew we wanted something to call our very own, since we'd meshed our prior lives-children, homes, pets, exes, furnishings, hopes and dreams-  into a jumbled array of whatever worked but nothing that we actually chose.  Most of all, we knew we wanted an adventure, together.  I think it's become a pilgrimage of sorts, and I've decided to share our trail of trials.

So this is our house, the basic little box that we somehow managed to raise 7 kids, a multitude of dogs, cats, a handful of gerbils and hamsters, a couple of bunnies, and 1 ferret in.  I've lived in this house for almost 10 years, and Jeremy has been here for 15.  We will be leaving behind a house that was filled with love and laughter, occasional tears and has a few dents to prove that it was well lived in.  I'm not sure how it will feel to close the door one final time and know we will never call it our home again, but I like to think that we take the most important part with us.
Knowing that we wanted to move away from this house, and this neighborhood, and set out for parts unknown but still within easy commuting distance, we started our search last year.  We had a lot of fun looking at homes.  We wandered around caution tape that pointed to giant holes in the floor boards, saw evidence of Realtors that had fallen through stairways, and plugged our noses through vacant homes filled with cats (or squirrels or worse).  We drove from one end of Minnesota to the other, discovering cute little hamlets along the rivers and forgotten farming communities just one or two families shy of becoming a ghost town.  We looked more earnestly this spring, and finally, after a few dud offers on other houses, we bought a medium sized two story home in Grantsburg,Wisconsin, and this blog will be the story of our new home and our new life.  Welcome to our new home!


1 comment:

  1. Dear Erica , Troy here :) Your childhood neighbor , who will always Love and Cherish and Respect you. You have turned out to be one of the most , if not the most beautiful people / mothers to have grown up in Anoka County / East Bethel , Minnesota. I so enjoyed reading your Blog and about your life more than words can say. You and your Husband and Children & pets make me want to pick up and move into your town. I miss having you as a neighbor and it would be so much more fun as an adult because when I was a Teen , I ran away from my Toxic childhood family / biological m***** of hate for me. I spent a lot of that time putting myself into Foster homes 4 to be exact. It was either that or suicide for real. The fact that I will be 50 Years old in May 2014. and have been an Adult Foster care provider for the ~ County since age ~ 25 caring for young adults with special needs is a great feeling for me. My life mate of 15 years and Finally Legal Spouse as of Aug/1/2013. I don't know how I ever survived without him and his Energy to take care of myself and others. We both came out of Toxic family's who will Never know the ~ Meaning of Unconditional Love. PLEASE stay in my /our life as much as you can & or are willing to do so. This growing old is scary for both of us!!
    and our need for Good people and New Family Members who Love us Unconditionally is more needed now than ever. Please keep us posted as I know you are very busy person doing Good in our World. :) :) T.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much! I love hearing from you!!